Contrary to what could be implied from its name, green tea isn’t exactly green. This healthy beverage is quite common among several people and cultures around the world. It is not new to Nigerians either, as it is promoted as one of the most healthy beverages you can consume.
In contrast to its yellow counterpart, green tea is made from the buds and leaves of Camellia sinensis that haven’t gone through the process of oxidation or withering. It started in China and has become known as a major beverage for good health.
However, why should you start taking this tea everyone’s so crazy about? We’ll give you six science-based reasons.
- It contains multiple healthy compounds like EGCG and Polyphenols, among others. These compounds have multiple functions in the body, which range from helping to reduce inflammation to promoting brain health and so on.
- With the healthy amount of caffeine inside a serving of green tea, you can get better brain function. The best part about this drink is, unlike coffee, its caffeine isn’t so concentrated that it becomes too much. The key phrase here is “healthy amount.”
- It helps to lose weight. This is one of the reasons green tea is so popular. The beverage can help you to increase your metabolism and burn more fat.
- Green tea is rich in antioxidants which could help you to reduce the risk of getting prostate cancer, according to a study. It helps to provide protection for the brain against degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. This is an offshoot of its antioxidants.
- It could help inhibit the growth of bacteria in your mouth, thus, reducing bad breath. This is as a result of of its catechins.
- It could help in the fight against type 2 diabetes. It does so by increasing the sensitivity of your insulin.
Green tea, just like many of nature’s drinks and products, is particularly healthy for you. This fact is especially true when you compare it to the processed foods that flood the market today. My final words? You should try some!