The husband is the provider. God expects the husband to work and provide for his family. He is responsible for the food, shelter, clothing and education of the children. He must also see to it that his children learn how to work so that they can make a living for themselves. The Bible states, in 1 Timothy 5:8, “But if any man does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. ” Marriage is a financial venture and the husband has a responsibility to finance, support and provide for his family. This is talking about money. As a husband, your earnings are not your own but belong to your wife as well as your children. Even if your wife earns more than you, the primary role for provision is still with you the husband. She can help since she is your helpmeet but it is your job.
The husband should also provide for the spiritual needs of the family. Every day he should confess the right words concerning his family.
The Godly husband prays for/with his wife regularly. He does not allow corrupt communication to proceed out of his mouth towards his wife, but only that which is good for edifying so that his words can minister grace to her. He only speaks words that encourage her in her walk of faith. He gives his wife the honour, respect, goodwill and kindness that is due to her.
The husband (father) participates in raising the children in the family. Proverbs 17:25 states that “A foolish son brings grief to his family and bitter regrets to his mother.” While Proverbs 15:20 states that “a wise son makes his father happy.” The difference between a foolish son and a wise son is often the difference in the teaching the fathers have given their sons. However, the father’s teachings to the children are not as important as his practice of the things he teaches his children. Your children will definitely watch you first.
The Father is attentive to the needs of the children; in attending tea parties at their schools, playing with them as often as he can. He teaches them about God and good character. He impresses the word of God diligently in the hearts and minds of his children. He does not provoke his children to anger but rears them tenderly in the training, discipline, counsel and admonition of the Lord.
In conclusion, I will like to share with you “The ten commandments for husbands”
Ten commandments for husbands
1) Thou shalt not take thy wife for granted, but will honour and respect her.
2) Thy highest allegiance, except God, shall be to thy wife, not thy relatives or friends.
3) Thou shalt frequently tell thy wife how important and valuable she is to you.
4) Thou shalt hold thy wife’s love by the same means that thou won it.
5) Thou shalt actively establish family discipline with thy wife’s help.
6) Remember to do all the little things for thy wife whenever you say you will.
7) Keep thine eyes on thy own wife, not thy neighbor’s.
8) Thou shalt make every effort to see things from thy wife’s point of view also.
9) Thou shalt not fail to kiss thy wife every morning.
10) Thou shalt not be stingy with thy wife when it comes to money.